For 10 minutes on July 18th a corrupted packages file was posted. If you loaded Cydia during that 10 minute period, your packages file became corrupted. This subsequently causes Cydia to crash each time you use it.
Here are ways to fix it for Windows and Mac users:
**Update 1: crash-x has made a small update to the PDF. Please follow instructions carefully. We have confirmed reports that one or more source-repos besides TheBigBoss may be causing your problems. Removing all the lists may help.
Windows users: Download this tool for Windows (.NET required) and unzip the files to a handy location. Run the enclosed executable and connect your device to your PC. Click the button to start the fix. A confirmation screen will appear shortly when it has finished.
Mac or Windows users: This document (PDF) describes how to fix Cydia using DiskAid for Mac or Windows.
Note: This is not a fix for all Cydia issues, but only if you loaded Cydia on July 18th during that 10 minute period and now cannot load Cydia at all.
Thanks to DB42 of OpenHebrew and crash-x for the tools and instructions.Continue Reading ..>>
Edit #2: redsn0w replaces quickpwn and also handles jailbreak of iPhones without restore! (I believe the name quickpwn was retired because quickpwn.com is a stolen, fake site and the dev team does not want to support it).
Edit (June 20th): redsn0w 0.7 for 3.0 is out now! Get here
The dev team just released pwnage for OSX. So all your MAC users can now jailbreak your iphones. Note that this is pwnage not quickpwn. You can download it here. Also read the notes on the blog. Some highlights are:
* UltraSnow (3.0 unlock) is not available yet. If you have YellowSn0w, do not yet upgrade.
* If you have a 3gs, you must wait for an unspecified amount of time.
* iPod touch 2 users: Download here. If you have an iPod touch 2g, you must wait for a redsn0w update. Not ready yet.
* There is no windows version, there is no quickpwn yet. Coming later.
The basic pwnage guide should still work basically the same.Continue Reading ..>>
Edit: I packed this up and released it as v2.99. There are a couple more things I plan before 3.0 comes out, but this will get some good testing in. A couple notes, the install process should work, but if you have any weird problems, like respring just hangs with the respring screen up, reboot the iPhone and then send me email letting me know this happened. I am trying to avoid a reboot on install and want to make sure it’s working for the masses. Also, remember you must enable the status bar features in the more app!
So I have still been working on SBSettings for 3.0 (and update for 2.x). In addition to the features listed in my previous post I have added:
- You can now have more than 12 toggles. (On the 3.0 OS). When you have > 12 toggles it will let you scroll like categories app or such.
- There is now an option to put the free memory in the statusbar. See:
- You can now select from several options to customize the behaviors of SBSettings:
- Enable or disable the U/I from lock screen
- Enable or disable the U/I during calls (for those of you that kept having the U/I activate on your cheek).
- Enable or disable the date in status bar.
- Enable or disable the memory free in status bar.
- Enable or disable numeric battery, wifi, or GSM (phone strength).
- Revamped the U/I on the more – extras screen.
- Internally, I have made the toggles SDK more extensible enabling direct access to system() calls within the toggles. I expect another small flood of new toggles like safari download, samba, or syslog toggles. These tasks were impossibly difficult on 1.x sbsettings and are now trivially simple.
Known Issues – Please READ THIS before you comment:
1) If your respring, SSH, or EDGE doesn’t work, you are one of the unlucky 3100 to get my bad pack. Reboot the iPhone and you should be ok.
2) If you hold wifi for more than 1 second to try to invoke the hold action, springboard will crash. I had debugging stuff in there that I forgot to remove. None of the toggles support invoke hold action yet anyway so there is no need to hold them.
3) If you saw fastnotes, location services, or processes uninstall on the update this is normal. They are now included in the core sbsettings.
4) I already know that there is some misaligned text on 2.0 mobile substrate screen. The font on 3.0 and 2.0 are sized differently by defaults. Will fix in next version.
5) If you are on 3.0 this will not work for you. Do not report that the more app crashes. It’s not a problem with sbsettings. It’s in your jailbreak. To properly make it work on 3.0 beta, you require a private, not yet released kernel patch and to fix your crashing on loading the more app, you need to install the package that includes dirname. (It will be installed on a real 3.0 release build). Look for one of the *-cmds packages like “adv-cmds”, “file-cmds”, “shell-cmds” or just install all 3.Continue Reading ..>>
Long time no speak everyone. We have made alot of updates and wanted to inform everyone of just a few. Firstly, our main feature Spoofing is still free so long as the calls are kept under 2 minutes. You still have to listen to a short 10 second ad before your call is placed but [...]Continue Reading ..>>
I have added a comments section to my pages in Cydia. It’s on the new styled depiction pages. You can view the comments in most recent to oldest order and add your own. I have infrastructure to add ratings as well but left it out for now as Saurik says he’s adding this himself. See screenshots of Cydia:
Update (April 2, 2009 by BigBoss) I just pushed an update to Crash-X’s VoIPover3G v1.0.2 that will enable skype in the plist for you. No need for editing plist files just update the VoIPover3G app.
Update (April 1, 2009 by BigBoss and ranova): Saurik just released mobilesubstrate 0.9.2805-1. This version fixes the problem entirely allowing for mobilesubstrate addons to work with Skype app. You can now use Skype app with VoIPover3G! -
Quick Tip: The voipover3g string for Skype is: com.skype.skype -All lowercase. You must add it in the VoIPover3G.plist located in /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/
Full Guide to add Skype to voipover3g
Latest clippy and keyboard custom sounds now also seem to work with Skype using the latest Mobile Substrate update. If you are still experiencing crashes when you open up the keyboard, disable these two components.
If you are still experiencing crashes with the new Mobile Substrate and have disabled clippy and\or custom keyboard sounds, make sure to check other mobile substrate extensions or apps that run in the background and disable them. They may be still conflicting with how Skype runs. This is not a Mobile Substrate problem, but a problem with the extension or app itself and the author of it will have to update it. I had no problems using Clippy, Cydelete, Cyntact, Five Icon Dock, QuickGold, SBSettings, VoIPover3G, and Winterboard as mobile substrate extensions.
Known extensions or apps that cause skype to crash: mcoolphone, mobilelog, AdvLock, Hood, and Intelliscreen (it may work if you mess around with the performance settings in Intelliscreen).
You can check what mobileSubstrates extensions you have running and installed by looking in the folder:
If you use Intelliscreen, From User Daron:
Eventually, I discovered that Skype would launch if I *disabled* IntelliScreen. I then tried to disable some of the IntelliScreen Performance extensions (Backgrounder, FileSchemaMobileSafari, MailToAttachmentMessageUI, PrefHooker-iKeyEx, SBHooker-iKeyEx, SBSettings, Veency, VoIPover3G, WinterBoard) and discovered that the culprit was Veency.
Thank you Saurik and everyone else that posted comments that helped us figure out the underlying problems.
Update (March 31st, 2009): Saurik has released a new mobile substrate and the issue is fixed. No need for intelliscreen or any other hacks. Just update mobile substrate from cydia. Update to v0.9.2803-1 (or newer) of mobile substrate.
To fix the Skype crash, all mobilesubstrate based hacks are disabled on the Skype app. This means you cannot use voipover3g or backgrounder with Skype app. Do not ask how to do it or point out that it doesnt work. The developer of mobile substrate has already stated that it will not work.
The highly anticipated app for the iPhone has just been released in the US:
Skype in the AppStore.
Now the bad news. It seems that all jailbroken phones do not play well with the Skype app. I had problems getting it to work at all, the app would crash when you try to use the keyboard to login to the app. I later found out, through trial and error, the culprit for keyboard crashing is Custom Winterboard Keyboard Click Sounds and Clippy. Getting rid of the keyboard custom clicks (tock.aiff) seems to work with regular themes. Using SBSettings Clippy toggle to switch it off seemed to do the trick also.
That problem, while small and fixable, is not the biggest problem. Skype seems to freeze within 30-50 seconds while in the app – no matter what you do (calling, idling, chatting, etc). I went into safe mode using SBSettings and tried out Skype – to my surprise, everything worked perfectly – I used it to talk to my friend for about 20-30 minutes. I decided to do a little bit more troubleshooting – deleting mobile substrates one by one to see if it helped or not, and then deleting them all. Nothing seemed to work, the app would still crash within one minute.
I decided to run SysInfoPro and compare running processes (non-mobile substrate) between safe mode and regular mode. They both had the exact processes running at the same time.
Although I didn’t delve much deeper into the problem (could have tried using Top and system logs), I have come to a conclusion that Skype crashes ONLY on jailbroken iPhones. I had a couple friends try it on their newly restored iPhones, and they worked flawlessly. Other people from multiple forums have also said it crashes non-stop for them (their iPhones also jailbroken):
“I managed to download skype and tested myself. It is buggy and all the symptoms the same as described by ranova. I have tried it on a 1G phone newly updated to 2.2.1 jailbroken. The only apps I have installed is sbsettings, ierase, nimbuzz, and skype. It still crashes after 30sec or so. It has got to be the phone that is jailbroken. I have nothing on my phone other than what you get after you jailbreak.” – duceduc
“2.2.1 jailbroken 3g here. It crashes after 30 – 60 seconds.” – jgsx
“Confirmed – Crashes like every minute.” – Zazox
Let’s hope this isn’t an attempt from Apple or Skype to cause apps to crash only on jailbroken phones (to deter the use of voipover3g). [end conspiracy theories]
Update: Saurik has just updated regarding reasons behind the crashes:
“Skype seems to be using some kind of /awesome/ DRM that involves them having an entire replacement binary somehow inside of it: the one on disk doesn’t link against /anything/ ;P. Whatever its doing, though, involves stressing dyld in some weird way.
Interestingly enough, its not anything MobileSubstrate does to the code: its just it existing in the process before it loads its replacement. (Which is extra weird, as the new MobileSubstrate links against almost nothing: just CoreFoundation.)”
So what we know so far:
- If Skype crashes when trying to input text: Disable both clippy (Use SBSettings toggle) and any custom Winterboard sounds relating to the keyboard tick (tock.aiff).
- If Skype crashes within 1 minute of having the app open: Update your Mobile substrate via Cydia. The latest version (April 1st, 2009) allows mobile substrate to play nicely with Skype. Thanks Saurik!
Temporary fix that allows mobile substrates extensions (voipover3g, backgrounder, winterboard) to run, from Autotrade at Engadget:
“For people having crashes (especially the 1 minute thing) use this FIX: I had to enable in Intelliscreen, Performance, App Boost ON and select the apps below (in my case I set Backgrounder and VoipOver3G both to ON). That fixed it, no more crashes at all, tested this on 2 iPhones.”
Well there you have it, Skype on the iPhone is amazing – sound quality sounds better than regular cell calls. I briefly tested it on T-mobile’s EDGE network (using voipover3g) and for the 30 seconds that it lasted, there was no noticable lag and quality was great! I look forward in using Skype as a regular VoIP app. Thanks for all the comments and thank you saurik for looking into this.
Hey guys! Here is pH. I’m new here and I’ll post all my tools here. BigBoss is hosting everything on the repo (thanks, :) ) and, if you want, click here to visit my english blog (ipHrojects) or click here to visit my brazillian blog (iBlogeek). My first public tool is called iPhone OS C/C++ [...]Continue Reading ..>>
I believe the iSpazio source should be up if you update the source package to v0-3.1 or newer. He had some domain issues and his domain, ispazio.net seems to be “lost”. The package update just updates the source to use one of his other existing domains.Continue Reading ..>>
The main bigboss.org server has been having some troubles the last couple days. It is not a traffic issue as the server has plenty of horse power to handle whats coming in. The issue has been tough to nail down but I have made changes every day and enabled different logging. I check the server multiple times a day and fix it right away if I notice a problem. So if you are having issues, just try again in an hour or so until the problem is solved. I have enabled some additional log files so I may need a couple more days of reproduction with logfiles to solve it once and for all.
Edit: if you are able to read this post, the server is up!Continue Reading ..>>
BigBoss Edit: If this was crashing for you, it was probably fixed on 1.0.2. Congratulations to Occipital on this nice app. I think this is one of the most innovative apps on the iPhone. It finally takes the crappy camera and does something pretty ok with it. I plan to update my reasons to jailbreak with this.
ClearCam takes 6 photos in 2.5 seconds, fuses them together using an algorithm called super resolution, and creates a sharper, 4 megapixel photo with less noise. There is also a QuickShot mode that takes 4 photos in under 2 seconds and saves the sharpest to the camera roll.Continue Reading ..>>